Friday 14 October 2011

Who am I and what am I doing here? Thing 20: The Library Routes Project

Hi all
this post is for the The Library Routes Project I heard about in the 23 Things project.  Here goes..

After being made redundant from a knitwear factory in my home town, I decided no more factories for me.  The previous couple of years saw me going to night classes at the local college to do a CLAIT course and typing, from which I gained qualifications.  I was ready to leave the factory to seek employment in the admin world.


However I put that on hold when I met my husband and we started saving up for a house etc.
At the end of 2000 I had no choice but to seek admin work as the factory closed it's doors for the last time.
I then decided to join an agency and gained a little experience filling in for people at various offices in the area.
After a few months I landed a part time 6 month job at a local hospital in one of the offices, as office junior [!]  I'm not very 'junior' , not in years anyway, however young I call myself!  That contract ended and I had another spell on the dole.
Another job became available - this time a permanent full time job with the same hospital as Undergraduate Secretary.  This involved supporting medical students on placement at the hospital.  I was there for a few years before I got itchy feet and decided to do something else, that's when the post of Senior Library Assistant became available where I am today.  I have been at this post now for 4 years.


Not sure I want to further this and become a librarian.  If a post came along it would probably mean I have to travel a lot further than I do now to come to work. Not sure I want to do that, even if it is more money!  Also it is a very competitive market out there, not wanting to be too negative and appear not very confident but I probably wouldn't stand a lot of chance.  I'm not a young whipper-snapper either!  Someone like me at my age of ... ahem.... and without a lot of experience in libraries would be beaten by some young graduate I'm sure!
I am happy with what I do and happy to plod along as usual ..  for now anyway.

thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment