Wednesday 26 October 2011

Thing 21: Promoting yourself in job applications and at interview

Part 1 Identifying your strengths.   To be honest I can't think of anything that my hobbies and pastimes have linked with my job.  The only thing I can think of is liking to be tidy and my stuff at home put in some sort of order much like our library shelves.  Although I don't really like shelf-checking and tidying!  On the other hand when it's done I can think - there goes a tidy library and look back at a job well done.  Oh yeah and I love books, so there's another connection, if you can call it that.
I suppose thinking about it I like to create posters and notices for the library.  Part of my pastimes involve being creative, i.e. my greeting card crafting.  I used to like painting and drawing too but never get time now.

Part 2 Applying for a job  Not looking for another job at present! Took me long enough to get  this one.  However there are some good tips on Thing 21 for your CV etc.  I have recently updated mine with important details of my current post.

Part 3 Interviews  See above.  Good to have tips for interviews however because in this really competitive world we live in now we need all the help we can get!  If asked about your hobbies they might make you stand out from the crowd.  The people interviewing you may see you as a good academic etc, but perhaps the other candidates are too, your hobbies say a lot about you as a person.  You may even have your future colleagues having the same interests!  I haven't got any tips for interviews except: ladies, don't wear a low blouse - it don't work.. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment