Wednesday 10 August 2011

Thing 10 & 11 Graduate traineeships, Masters Degrees, Chartership, Accreditation & Thing 11 Mentoring

Thing 10
Not wanting to sound negative but it seems like these 'Things' are more for people who want to be or already are librarians.  I suppose that's the next step from being a lowly SLA.
However I'm not sure if I want to be a librarian or Chartership etc etc.. so what else is there for SLAs?  It would be nice to further my career and maybe even get a better job with more money, but I'm not really sure what is out there for non-librarians who want to work in a library.
Also being a bit negative again... is it worth becoming a librarian when a lot of libraries are closing with the cut backs?  If anyone can help me be a bit more positive please feel free!  :-)
Thing 11
The only time I can say I've had a mentor is my manager when I joined the library in my current post.  I had never worked in a library so it was all very new to me.  It was the manager's job to show me the ropes and supporting me in the library, which my other colleagues have also done.
I can say my other mentor was my NVQ assessor, which you all probably know what they do.  She was very good, calming me down when I panicked because it was as clear as mud at the beginning and at the end when I didn't think I'd finish on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment